What are your goals & objectives for implementing self check equipment?
- Increase speed of check out
- Increased patron privacy
- Material security
- Reduce staff repetitive stress injuries
- Reallocate staff resources to direct patron service
Determine the technology you will need to support your goals:
- Bar Code
To encourage adoption of use for your self-check equipment place units in high-traffic areas, as well as children's areas. It is recommended to have a least three to four units total for libraries with high annual circulation.
Self check equipment is available in many styles. Consider your space usage and traffic flow as you select your equipment and related furnshings.
- Will you place units on tabletops or counters?
- Do you want individual kiosks, available as height-adjustable, stationary and mobile units?
- Do you need a custom-designed piece to integrate with existing furnishings
Tip: Implementing self-check stations into mobile furnishings gives
you the flexibility to adjust the location of your equipment once
you’ve had the opportunity to observe traffic flow
and usage patterns.